Name: Dr. N. S. Babu
- Ph.D. Characterization and hot workability studies on aerospace materials to obtain defect free products, JNTU, Hyderabad, (2008).
- M. Tech. Materials Science, IIT, Kanpur (1982).
Overview of Profile:
- Professor, Vignana Bharathi Institute of Technology, Hyderabad (June 2012 – Feb’2015)
- Scientist//Engineer-SG, Vikram Sarabhai Space Center, Trivandrum (Dec 1982 – May 2012).
- Scientific Assistant, National Aerospace Laboratory, Bangalore (June 1977 – Oct 1982).
- Technical Supervisor, Harvin Scientific Optics, Hyderabad (March 1976-June1977).
Fore Front Area of Research: Research and Development Experience in Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre, Trivandrum (ISRO)
- Responsible for operation, characterization, interpretation and reporting the data on various metallic and non-metallic materials using X-ray diffraction equipment, scanning electron microscope & transmission electron microscope.
- Development of Silica tiles, c-c Composites, silicide coating on columbium alloys for AOCS thrusters, Iridium catalyst for monopropellant thrusters.
Experience (in years)
Teaching: 3.5 years, Industry: 1 years, Research : 36.5 years
: 9834430313 college no with Ext: -
Awards and Achievements
Awards and Achievements
- Received appreciation letter for Engineering Metallurgy, Material Science subjects’ results in 2015-16 from STES’ Sinhgad Institute of Technology, Lonavala.
- Received appreciation letter for Engineering Metallurgy result of 95.61% in 2014-15 from STES’ Sinhgad Institute of Technology, Lonavala.
- Received a 1St prize in a technical session for presenting a paper on Value Stream Mapping at Indian Institute of Technology, Varanasi (BHU).
- Received Best Kaizen in a month for Feb’13 Prize at Johnson Controls which was focussed Process-Quality performance improvement
- Received 3rd Prize for a Kaizen in Kaizen event-2012 at Johnson Controls which was focussed on Cycle -Time Reduction
- Secured ‘Befriedigend’-Satisfactory grade at Goethe-Zertifikat A1 level examination for German language in May’13
Research / Patents / Publications
Membership in Professional Bodies
- Life Member, Indian Institute of Metals
- Member, Indian Society for Advancement of Materials and Process Engineering
- Life Member, Indian Astronautical Society of India.
Membership in Committees
- Member of Selection Committee at IISc, Bangalore for Research Admissions
- Member of Selection Committee for the evaluation of M.Tech thesis in Andhra University, Vizag
- Guide to students of NIT, Calicut for their M.Tech projects in VSSC
- Guided fourB-Tech projects in VBIT
- Co-ordinator of B-Tech projects in Mechanical Engineering Department,VBIT.
- PP.Sinha, K. Sreekumar, N.S.Babu, B.Pant, A.Natarajan and K.V.Nagarajan “Development of Heat Treatment Parameters to improve fracture toughness and grain size of an EmbrittledMaraging Steel”, J.Heat Treating, Vol.9,pp 125-131 (1992)
- N.S.Babu, P. Ramesh Narayanan and A.Natarajan, “Metallographic Characterisation of Silicide Coatings on Niobium alloys”, Practical Metallography, Vol.5, pp 260-267(1995).
- N.S.Babu, B.N.Rao, S.Sukesh Kumar, R.Venkateswaran and K.Sreekumar, “Structural parameters and morphological features of pitch polyacrylonitile graphitized carbon fibres, Proceedings of the National Seminar on Non Destructive Evaluation, organized by ISNDT, Trivandrum, India,pp 258-263 (2003)
- N.S.Babu, S.B.Tiwari and B Nageswara Rao, “Modified instability condition for identification of unstable metal flow regions in processing maps of magnesium alloys”, Materials Science and Technology, Vol.21, No.8, pp 976-984 (2005)
- N.S.Babu, S.B.Tiwari and B Nageswara Rao, Development and Validation of processing maps for nickel based powder metallurgy superalloys”, Powder Metallurgy, Vol 49, No.2, pp 1-9 (2006)
- N.S.Babu, S.B.Tiwari and B Nageswara Rao, “Structural and Morphological Features of graphitized Carbon fibres” Trends in Applied Sciences Research, Vol.1, No.3 pp.204-213 (2006)
- N.S.Babu, Binu P Thomas and B. NageswaraRao”Measurement of the Anisotropic Mesophase Content in Pitch based precursors” Materials Science Research Journal Vol. 1,No.3/4, pp 65-77 (2008).
- N.S.Babu and B NageswaraRao,” X-Ray Diffraction Studies on Space Materials”, Materials Science Research Journal , Vol.2, No1/2, PP25-51 (2009)
- Attended the International Conference on Agile Manufacturing-2012 at Indian Institute of Technology (BHU), Varanasi and secured 1st prize for Best Paper in a Technical Session
- Took part in 3 National and 1 State Level Paper Presentation on “Coatings for Cutting Tools” at Walchand college of Engineering, Sangli